Location: 8001 Dale Ave, Richmond Heights, MO 63117
Playground Ground Cover: Poured Rubber, wood chips
I stumbled across this playground while I was looking for the AB Green playground next door. For some reason this amazing playground is not listed on the Richmond Heights website! As a result I had no idea this place was even here. It was built in 2012 and it is awesome. I couldn't get a lot of photos because they were repairing a slide and the gate was closed. But we will be back when it's warmer! Here is a wonderful article about all it's features and the benefits of Nature Classrooms. There are now several in the St. Louis area! In addition to this one, here's a list of other Nature Classrooms in Missouri:
- Big Oak Tree State Park in East Prairie, MO
- City of Richmond Heights in Richmond Heights, MO
- The Green Center in St. Louis, MO
- Kid’s Corner Preschool in Fredericktown, MO
- Kids International in Ellisville, MO
- Little House Learning Center in O’Fallon, MO
- Luke’s Treehouse in Columbia, MO
- Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis, MO
- Operation Breakthrough in Kansas City, MO
- Rainbow School in Kansas City, MO
- Shaw Nature Reserve in Gray Summit, MO
- Sikeston University Child Development Center in Sikeston, MO
- St. Charles County Parks and Rec, Towne Park in Foristell, MO
- Union Preschool in St. Louis, MO
You can also swim here at the Heights. Here's that post.
Last year they did story time in the outdoor classroom, I'll def be checking to see what the calendar is this year. These were the dates in 2015:
Stories in the Park
Held at 10 a.m. at THE HEIGHTS
outdoor classroom. For more information, call 314-645-6202.
•Sept. 3, 10, 17, 24
The playground is large and has many activities including rock walls, balance beam, various poles and bars, slides, and more. I couldn't see swings or the back of the structures due to the playground being closed for repairs right now. I'll update when we go back.
Music and Movement Area
It's hard to see but this is the messy play area complete with sand pit
The mini amphitheater where they have book readings, puppet shows, and other special events.
"A large variety of activities are planned throughout the year at the Nature Explore Classroom including birthday parties, stories in the park, tree scavenger hunts, insect hunts, and camouflage adventure to name just a few. The classroom is completely fenced and parents have commented on how safe they feel letting their children play within the area knowing there is only one unlocked gate. Designed for children 2 to 12 years of age with adult supervision, there are boundless opportunities to explore and create in this magical space."